Saturday, December 24, 2005

It's Not That Bad

I was driving home today from shopping and fretting about how I couldn't get everyone something with what little funds I have. There were the worries that the gifts that I did buy, wouldn't meet expectations that friends and family might have. All this was whirring and buzzing through my head, yet something out of the corner of my eye made me stop thinking about all of that. Something out of the corner of my eye made a tear fall, and I felt very strange.

I saw this "thing" barely in my vision, it was a "he" and "he" was riding a very old, rusty bicycle. I noticed a few canned goods and a loaf of bread which looked half full. I wondered if he had a place to stay during Christmas. Was he heading somewhere with family, were they having a feast and he was just briging some much-needed supplies back to the casa, or was he wandering, with no place to go. I began to fear that he may be homeless, and as I glanced again at him just before he left my sight, I had never seen a frown.... Was he happy?

I wanted so badly to take back so much in my life, which I knew I couldn't. I know that every time I think something bad has happened to me, something worse is happening to someone else. This urge to withdraw money and give it to this man consumed me for a second or two, but I was scared. Scared that I was wrong and he might be offended. Hell, anyone would accept money. Wouldn't they?

There are so many times we pass a stranger and they are in need, do we ignore them or are we unable to see? I feel that I should drop down in front of this guy, hand him all the money I have and tell him to better himself, because I have screwed away so many things and I may now never accomplish success. He needs more help than me. Please forgive me.

No comments: